Programme: Organization Development
Job Title: Fundraising and Partnerships Consultant
Reports to: Executive Director
Organization: CDEA – Culture and Development East Africa
Term: One year, renewable
Start Date: May 3, 2023
Culture and Development East Africa (CDEA) Culture and Development East Africa (CDEA) is a creative think tank that provides cultural and Pan-African thought leadership for creative, social and scientist innovators to create and innovate through structured workplace learning, incubation, research & advocacy and capacity building for social change. We also innovate on how space can be used to enhance sustainable workplace productivity and green community lifestyles.
At CDEA we believe that culture is the context in which development takes place. Culture is defined as “the set of distinctive spiritual, material, intellectual, and emotional features of society or a social group. In addition to the arts, it encompasses lifestyles, basic human rights, value systems, traditions, and beliefs.” This set of distinctive features that characterize a society or social group falls under what we commonly call cultural identity.
We define development as the expansion of choices not just growth of material production. Therefore, we see culture as the purpose of sustainable development and not just a facilitator or an impediment to economic growth. CDEA has three programmes namely: Culture and Governance, Documentary and Future, and Organization Development.
An East African Community where culture is at the centre of development
To support multi-stakeholders’ to use culture, creativity and ICTs as resources to stimulate the creative economy, achieve social justice and environmental balance within the East African Community
Promoting Creativity and Innovation
CDEA’s Core Values
- Respect for the diversity of cultural expressions
- Social cohesion and African cultural renaissance
- Professional excellence, Innovation, sustainability
- Integrity, credibility, transparency and accountability
- Empowerment, justice, equality and democracy
Are you the missing piece of the puzzle?
CDEA requires a highly talented and passionate Fundraising and Partnerships Consultant to develop a robust fundraising and sponsorship strategy that will give CDEA a programming advantage over its peers because it already has a credible reputation that can easily support its fundraising efforts. This will include but not limited to ensuring a feasible public relations, marketing and advertising strategies are in place. Specific responsibilities include:
Performance Objective 1: Resource Mobilization
- Development of a robust fundraising and sponsorship strategy that includes philanthropic capital and legacy fundraising
- Oversee and actively lead the implementation of the fundraising and sponsorship strategy
- In partnership with the Finance and Administration Manager, assist in CDEA’s annual revenue budgeting process
- Coordinate with the Finance and Administration Manager on actual vs budget, cash flow, and revenue projections from fundraising
- Prepare fundraising reports for Board meetings
- Participate in the annual audit process
- Manage bi-weekly fundraising meetings, preparation, agenda, follow-ups
- Continuously monitor and evaluate fundraising activities, taking corrective action to enhance and improve them when necessary
- Drive innovation in fundraising activity in order to deliver a long-term impact and stable funding plan
- In partnership with the Executive Director, cultivate and steward current and potential donor relationships, including foundations and high net-worth individuals
- Carry our grantmaking research to identify new pipeline of funding
- Identify and manage two international Grant Research interns
- Developing slide decks, concept notes and liaising with relevant departments for information that can support in fundraising
- Design budgets and adapt financials for grant proposals
- Write and submit grant applications, with supporting documents
- Track applications, upcoming deadlines, responses, reporting requirements, follow-up, etc.
- Initiate and manage the Friends of CDEA Donations programme
- In partnership with the Executive Director, actively research, identify and solicit new institutional contracts and consultancy opportunities in line with CDEA’s vision and program focus
- Support Executive Director as lead developer of proposal/pitch decks
- Management of large bidding/proposal processes with other partners, assigning roles, collating necessary documents, and developing budgets
Performance Objective 2: Partners Relationship Building
- Maintain the organizational culture, professionalism, focus on outcomes/deliverables, and embed the highest quality management standards
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, create and manage CDEA’s brand essence and communications strategy
- Take overall responsibility for CDEA’s brand and public presence.
- Get CDEA visible within the among development partners, philanthropic organizations and Highly-Networked Individuals in Tanzania, East Africa and the African continent
- Create a quarterly newsletter to share with supporters, partners, and funders.
Requirements For This Position
- Ability to work on own initiative and work to deadlines.
- Ability to work with teams
- Bachelors in areas such as public relations, communications or business, studying subjects like marketing, grant proposals, annual campaigns, planned giving/sponsorship
- At least 3+ years’ experience in grants management, fundraising and partnerships
- Knowledge of fundraising techniques including, but not limited to: proposal writing; public relations; prospect research; donor relations and stewardship
- Knowledge of major official donors, with proven ability in developing and maintaining effective working partnerships with donors
- Proven track-record in preparing fundable proposal development and submission and raising funds
- Demonstrated senior leadership experiences at or outside of work
- Demonstrated ability to manage a junior or external team of interns, consultants and stakeholders.
- Good computer skills and database management experience
- A proficient level of English and Swahili, written and oral
Send your application letter and CV via email: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: Application for the position of Fundraising and Partnerships Consultant, before April 23, 2023 addressed to:
Culture and Development East Africa (CDEA)
P.O Box 13355
Dar es Salaam