CDEA is a Creative Think Tank based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania dedicated to providing services to artists, cultural leaders, creative entrepreneurs, cultural officers and urban planners, development and corporate organizations, civil society organizations and academics, government and intergovernmental bodies in: innovation, research and development, artists and cultural development, tourism and development planning & implementation in Tanzania, and wider East African Region.
CDEA was registered as a company limited by guarantee under the Companies ACT 2002 of the United Republic of Tanzania and issued a Certificate of Incorporation no. 86597, on October 19, 2011. It was also issued with a Certificate of Compliance no. 1445 under the NGO ACT of 2002, on January 30, 2012 of the United Republic of Tanzania.
Our niche is to design and develop evidence-based programmes that place culture at the centre of development in East Africa.
Our programming includes:
- Research, policy analysis and advocacy for artist rights, cultural and creative industries and urban revitalization
- Innovation facilitation by an Audio-visual Incubator and Design Incubator
- Writers Lounge
- Work-spaces and community building
- Eco Sanaa Terrace Events
- Culture in Sustainable Development programming (Agriculture, Education, Environment, Health, Sustainable Tourism and Urban Development)
- Arts Promotion and Development Performing Arts Infrastructure
An East African Community where culture is at the centre of development
We exist to facilitate multi-stakeholders to use culture as a resource to stimulate innovation and find solutions for sustainable production and lifestyles
Promoting creativity and innovation
CDEA’s Core Values
- Respect for the diversity of cultural expressions
- Social cohesion, Pan-Africanism and African Cultural Renaissance
- Professional excellence, Innovation, sustainability
- Integrity, credibility, transparency and accountability
- Empowerment, justice, equality and democracy
- Promote sustainable consumption and production lifestyles in harmony with nature
“A country which lacks its own culture is no more than a collection of people without the spirit which makes them a nation” –Mwalimu Julius Kambarage Nyerere
CDEA is a creative think tank in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania with the need of a strong and capable Business Development Manager with entrepreneurial and commercial experience.
Reporting directly to the Executive Director, the Business Development Manager is responsible for building the market position of CDEA by locating, developing, defining, negotiating, and closing business relationships.
Are you a qualified sales professional with a keen commercial sense and a passionate commitment to CDEA’s vision? The role of the Manager of Business Development is to generate new business for CDEA. It will require following standard sales pipeline processes to prospect new clients, introduce CDEA’s approach and services and products, support benchmark studies and strategic space planning, presenting proposals and close new sales. Prospecting and introductions will be achieved through a combination of attending industry events, speaking at conferences, phone calls to arrange meetings, managing partnerships and developing and presenting information about CDEA.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Locates or proposes potential business deals by contacting potential partners; discovering and exploring opportunities.
- Screens potential business deals by analyzing market strategies, deal requirements, potential, and financials; evaluating options; resolving internal priorities; recommending equity investments.
- Develops negotiating strategies and positions by studying integration of new venture with company strategies and operations; examining risks and potentials; estimating partners’ needs and goals.
- Closes new business deals by coordinating requirements; developing and negotiating contracts; integrating contract requirements with business operations.
- Protects organization’s value by keeping information confidential.
Introductions / Needs Analysis
- Understand potential clients’ needs and help them explore their solutions through CDEA’s approach.
- Assist a client/or a consortium of partners in understanding the benefits to them using CDEA’s approach and methodology in development intervention.
- Prepare and present final proposal and pricing to clients and development partners.
- Address any issues or revisions to proposals.
- Ensure scope of work is clearly handed off to the delivery team and the hand off appears seamless to the client.
- Negotiate fees and terms of proposals as required (within authority levels).
Relationship Development / Management:
- Develop partnerships with brokers, developers and asset portfolio managers within the real-estate industry.
- Assist in development of relationships for artists promotion and development in East Africa.
- Attend and/or participate in industry events (i.e. corporate events).
- Explore the forming of a service delivery portfolio including brokers, lawyers, insurance, contractors, suppliers, etc.)
Planning & Administration
- Log all sales activity within CDEA POS system.
- Track and report regularly on pipeline activity, advancement and results.
- Meet or exceed monthly activity, advancement targets.
- Achieve monthly new business development targets.
- Attend weekly BD meetings to strategize and plan for upcoming business development meetings.
- Prepare regular call plans for meetings with clear objectives and advancement criteria to objectively assess progress of clients in the pipeline.
- Maintain an objections library and contribute to the overall team learning on how to be more “effective” in our business development efforts.
- Continually enhance the sales pipeline process at CDEA so it is a continually improving process company wide and is integrated into our delivery.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required knowledge, qualifications and competencies for position:
The Business Development Manager must possess the following knowledge, qualifications and competencies and demonstrate that he/she can undertake the essential functions of the position:
|Qualifications/Education/ Knowledge||Relevant degree in commerce, managementSystematic in approach to sales and open minded to continually enhance sales approach.
A knowledge of business operations processes.
|Relevant post-graduatequalification in Business
Management or Public
|Experiencerequired||Proven sales experience and ability to develop new business. (5 year +)Minimum of 5-years’ (+) as an entrepreneur
Minimum of 5-years’ (+) management experience
|Experience of workingwith the private sector/managing social enterprise and non-profit organization
|Abilities andSkills required||Fluency in oral and written English and SwahiliStrong networking and interpersonal skills.
Able to attract business to CDEA
Excellent planning and organizational skills
High degree of analytical and numerate skills
Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills
Excellent presentation skills
Project management skills & experience
|Personal qualities||Results FocusBuilding alliances
Initiative & Innovation
If you have these qualifications and are interested in this position, please send you application and CV to:
CDEA-Culture and Development East Africa
P.O. Box 13355,
Dar es Salaam,
Deadline: February 15, 2016