Programme: Organization Development
Job Title: Finance and Business Administrative Officer
Organization: CDEA – Culture and Development East Africa
Term: One year, with possibility of renewal, three months’ probation
Deadline: February 28, 2017
Culture and Development East Africa (CDEA) is a creative think tank that provides cultural and Pan-African thought leadership for creative, social and scientist innovators to create and innovate through structured workplace learning, incubation, research & advocacy and capacity building for social change. We also innovate on how space can be used to enhance sustainable workplace productivity and green community lifestyles.
CDEA was registered as a company limited by guarantee under the Companies ACT 2002 of the United Republic of Tanzania and issued a Certificate of Incorporation no. 86597, on October 19, 2011. It was also issued with a Certificate of Compliance no. 1445 under the NGO ACT of 2002, on January 30, 2012 of the United Republic of Tanzania.
Our niche is to design and develop evidence-based programmes that place culture at the centre of development in East Africa.
An East African Community where culture is at the centre of development
We exist to facilitate multi-stakeholders to use culture as a resource to stimulate innovation and find solutions for sustainable production and lifestyles
Promoting creativity and innovation
CDEA’s Core Values
· Respect for the diversity of cultural expressions
· Social cohesion, Pan-Africanism and African Cultural Renaissance
· Professional excellence, Innovation, sustainability
· Integrity, credibility, transparency and accountability
· Empowerment, justice, equality and democracy
· Promote sustainable consumption and production lifestyles in harmony with nature
“A country which lacks its own culture is no more than a collection of people without the spirit which makes them a nation” –Mwalimu Julius Kambarage Nyerere
CDEA is a creative think tank in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania with the need of a strong and capable Finance and Business Administrative Officer.
Reporting directly to the Executive Director, the Finance and Business Administrative Officer is responsible for the overall financial management, business analysis and reporting, ensuring on-going viability and a secure financial future in line with the organization’s NGO status, mission and values.
You are a qualified accountant with a keen commercial sense and a passionate commitment to CDEA’s vision. You will provide financial advice and information to the Executive Director, the Board, Programme and Operations staff and develop and execute financial and investment strategies. You will have substantial experience, NGO finance regulations and key strategic finance reporting.
You will be responsible for the preparation of management and annual accounts, business analysis and management report information – maintaining close links and a strong working relationship with the programme staff leads to ensure appropriate and timely provision of management information and close management of individual budgets.
This role will also be accountable for management of the annual audit process and risk assessment.
You will be a proactive team player who can demonstrate initiative with excellent organizational, team management and communication skills.
You will responsible for managing CDEA’s business enterprises and supervising support staff and volunteers.
Finance and Accounts
- To provide an accurate and timely financial service including setting and monitoring of budgets, forecasts, cash flow analysis, management and financial accounts and advice and support to inform decision making at all levels
- To ensure that the Executive Director is appraised of key financial issues that need to be discussed with the Board to enable them to fully understand the financial position of the CDEA
- To review and ensure appropriate overall performance reporting to the Executive Director and the Board
- To support the Executive Director and senior staff to develop a medium-term financial plan
- Complies with the financial legal requirements of the United Republic of Tanzania, enforcing adherence to requirements, and advising management on needed actions.
- To work with the office team to develop finance policies and procedures and ensure that these are being consistently followed -including customer and supplier contracts, purchase orders, credit control, and ensuring timely invoicing by suppliers.
- To manage the annual audit process in conjunction with the appointed auditors to ensure statutory accounts are produced within the required deadlines
- To ensure that budgets and management accounts accurately reflect the business activity, that accruals and other adjustments are being made correctly, that variances from budget and other issues are investigated and resolved.
- To be responsible and report on the overall business risk assessment and management process of the organization, ensuring with the Executive Director, that the Board adequately assess and document risks faced by the organization
Administration and Human Resource Support
- Oversee CDEA’s business enterprises
- Support to staff and volunteers
- Oversee office management
- Advise on investment strategies
Required knowledge, qualifications and competencies for position:
The Finance and Business Administrative Officer must possess the following knowledge, qualifications and competencies and demonstrate that he/she can undertake the essential functions of the position:
|Qualified Accountant –
Knowledge of office management
Knowledge of business operations processes.
|Relevant administrative diploma or knowledge|
|Proven administrative HR supervision experience, leadership and management experience in the areas of strategic planning, analysis and organisational development
Previous experience of running a small finance function including payroll, PAYE, Payments, banking arrangements, accounts preparation and audit and other accounting transactions, adhering to proper controls and processes
Demonstrated experience of using QuickBooks or similar and translating raw financial data into accessible management information and recommendations for action
Significant demonstrated experience of preparation of management and annual accounts, business analysis and management information and the development, maintenance and monitoring of management information systems and procedures
Demonstrated experience in Cash Flow Analysis and reporting and trend analysis and forecasting.
Experience of liaison with external auditors and management of an annual audit process.
Ability to work on own initiative, prioritise work, handle pressure and take day-to-day decisions on the running of the organisation.
Substantial relevant work experience within the public/ private or voluntary sector.
Demonstrated experience of managing risk assessment and mitigation for an NGO.
Motivation for Sales, Prospecting Skills, Sales Planning, Selling to Customer Needs, Market Knowledge
|Experience of working
with the private sector/managing social enterprise and non-profit hum
|Fluency in oral and written English and Swahili
Strong networking and interpersonal skills.
Commercially astute and able to effectively communicate complex financial data and information to managers with non-financial expertise.
Able to bring a strong vision of
development, continuous improvement and growth for In Control.
A proactive team player and self-starter who can demonstrate initiative with excellent organizational, team management and communication skills.
Able to motivate, maintain and develop an effective team.
Good computer skills, particularly Excel, MBWIN, SUN AND SAP systems
Able to report and present complex financial information in an accessible and people
friendly way to board members and others
who do not have expertise in strategic management and accounts
Able to set up an impact investment fund to fund emerging creatives
|Personal qualities||Commitment to and understanding of team work and collaborative working.
Strong commitment to inclusion and
change development issues
Highly motivated self-starter.
High attention to detail and accuracy.
If you have these qualifications and are interested in this position, please send your application letter indicating expected salary and CV by email, Cdea.Tanzania@yahoo.com to:
CDEA-Culture and Development East Africa
P.O. Box 13355,
Dar es Salaam,